Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blog Post #2

teacher helping children inside a classroom using computers

Am I ready to become an educator? Being a teacher in todays world and in the near future will require a lot of hand on work with computers. Most of the children in the world already spend hours texting and on their computers, hours out of the day. It is a must to own a computer in todays society.
You could really get left in the past without a computer. As I look at the stats in this clip I realize that everyone owns a computer if not several. This lets me know just how far technology has come in such a short period.The United States should be superior to other countries yet we come in almost last.
I found Mr. Winkles very amusing as well as informative. I really dont understand why he slept so long. He missed a great deal i advancement of technology. In the hospital he was very confused on the usefulness of the respirator. Only if he really knew how many life it has saved.
Then he went to the school, he felt comfortable. He was in a zone where he could relate. This shows how far behind the school system is in todays world. There was only one computer in the whole class room, and there wasn't a person using it. School systems are stuck in the stone age with pen and paper.
Ken Robinson says that schools kill creativity. The way he explains it makes good sense. how can we educate our kid for a world that we really don't understand. The world is changing to fast to know what to teach our kids.
We as future educators have to do better than what we are currently teaching our kids. The kids in schools today have to learn that having a degrees dosen't gaurantee a job anymore. We must addequate knowledge.
A vision for 21 century learning is all about computers. Computers have made their mark on our every day lives. We can only imagine our live with out computers. Brining the virtual world into our kids lives make for a graet learning experience.
Sitting in todays classrooms listening to lectures tend to get boring really fast. Computers open up more learning experiences. Computers also grasp the attention of students better.
Paper and pencilis out of date. As we know computer are the key to the future. Students are learning how to blog. They are making this a dailycommunication habit. Bloggin is the way in the classrooms for teacher to spend one on one time.
The teachers are along with students. Sometime the student are showing the teachers. computers can be a learning experience for all. This keeps students interested an makes them want to come to class.

5 comments:

  1. Byronn, I completely agree with what you have posted on your blog. You have some very positive points such as the fact that paper and pencils are out of date and that we should embed technology into our schools more. As part of my peer editing for your blog post, I have decided to comment on your post instead of emailing you just so that others may be able to read your blog, then read what I have critiqued and possibly learn from it. Your post was very substantive as far as information about computers and students. The only problem that I found was that you had some minor grammatical errors. It seems like in the last paragraph your errors seemed to become more frequent. This happens sometimes because you get tired of typing, so maybe next time it will help if you take a break after typing a few paragraphs, gather your thoughts, and then continue later with the rest of the blog post. I have to do this myself. It also always helps to proofread. Sometimes when you get in a rush to finish things you don't really feel like proof reading but it is necessary. It also helps me to write more than one draft or just get a friend of family member to read over it before you post. Overall you had a great post and I enjoyed reading it. We have some similar views on technology and schools today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post about technology and students today. I agree with the fact that pencils and paper are out of date. It is hard enough to teach students these days, but without the use of computers and technology I believe its almost impossible. We have to find ways to get the students interested in learning and technology is at the tips of student's fingers these days because of the use of iPods, iPads and iPhones. In order for us to help them learn, I believe that we should do whatever it takes. I think that some teachers are reluctant to allow technology in the classroom. I even encounter this in my other college classes because the teachers refuse to allow us to bring our phones out in class or even to bring a laptop to class to take notes. We are a technologically based society and if we don't embrace it instead of pushing it away then students will not be able to find a job later on in life because they will be technologically challenged. Thank you for your post. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for the positive feed back Brooke. I am really enjoying this EDM 310 class. It is really teaching me some great foundation about computer knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome! I am always willing to help give feedback. I am an English/Education major, so I actually enjoy editing papers. It's weird I know :) Anyways I am enjoying this class as well! It is teaching me a lot of new things!

    ReplyDelete