Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post #9

Hi my name is Byronn Brye and I’m an EDM 310 student at the University of South Alabama. Mr. McClung made some very important points in his post: What he learned in his fist year of teaching. Learning is a very important part in becoming a great teacher. As a teacher or a student you can not be afraid of making mistakes. Mistakes are how we learn how not to make the same mistake in the future. The objective of teaching is to make sure your students are comprehend or catching on to the lesson plan. You must also keep an open mind and no that no one is prefect. The students are in your classroom to learn material that you already have a good idea on. It is great to have high expectations for your students but keep in mind they are students. Your job is to correct them when they are wrong and acknowledge when they are right. There are lots of grown people that are afraid of computers. I was one of those people until I took EDM 310. I realize that computers are taking over the world one day at a time. Mr. McClung came back and talks about how he had to make changes in his second year of teaching. In his second year he had a larger school distinct and he also started to teach 8th grade instead of 6th. By Mr. McClung having to make these changes this was another important step called adapting. Adapting plays a strong role in gaining a great understanding of your students and there surroundings. Teaching is a very hard job. You have to stay on your toes in order to keep your classroom interested in your lesson plan. There are ways to keep them focused by not becoming a control freak. Lots of teachers are guilty of trying to control them rather than to understand them. It is a good idea to take a look at yourself and learn to correct your problems, rather than blame everyone else.

4 comments:

  1. "...when they are write." right not write.

    "...Adapting is plays a strong role..." Remove the is.

    I hope you will make annual reflections like Mr. McClung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corrections made. I will make annual reflections like Mr.McClung. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hi, my name is Candace Buzbee. I completely agree with you on the way teachers have to adapt to many different things. I agree with you when you say that teachers need to learn to keep their students focused, instead of trying to control them. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. The only advice I would give you is to make sure you re-read your blog. One mistake I seen was "The objective of teaching is to make sure your students are comprehend or catching on to the lesson plan." The word "comprehend" needs to be comprehending. Other then that, this was a great post. Keep up the great work!

    Sincerely,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Byronn,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I think you made a good point about getting to know our students and understanding them individually rather than trying to control them. I think when teachers are controlling they are very impersonal too. In my post I spoke about engaging my students. Basically, I want their lessons to be more interactive and collaborative.
    Wishing you much success on your journey toward being an Educator!

    ReplyDelete